Saturday, April 24, 2010

What Inspires You?

I’ve been following the blog The Inspired Room (click to go to the site!) and I have to say that Melissa (the blogger) is the nicest lady. She corresponded with me a bit, used to live in Portland (like the rest of us who used to live there, she misses it a lot), AND her husband is a Multnomah grad.

She asks the question: “What inspired you” every week. Last week I gave it a go, and this week I am again.

So, what inspires me?

Pretty much anything I can take a picture of…a person, a flower, a building, a thing, an event. I’m not a great picture taker (I wouldn’t call myself a photographer by any means), but I like capturing moments. Here are a few I took last week:

Lilas at the glowming hour...



Apple blossoms...


Arugala growing in the garden at the center (can't wait to eat it!)...



This house is just a bit down from the drop-in center where we work. It was falling apart and the owner decided to take some of the walls down. It was so intriguing to me because clothes were still hanging on the wall...



And then there's the old desk that sits in our bedroom. I 'rescued' it from the drop-in center where it was on its way to the workshop to be used for various carpentry projects. The desk actually was at the drop-in center when we moved in about 7 years ago. The peeling paint, old nails, and shades of blue and green always make me wonder the stories it could tell. Did a woman use it knead bread? Or did a child use it do her lessons? Whatever the tale, it can now tell the one of me and my love as it makes such a sweet addition to our room.








Also, if you’re my friend on Facebook, you’ll notice that I’ve been alluding to BIG changes come to the blog. They are. They’re BIG. On the sidebar I’ve given you a little taste of what is upcoming (see contemplation, activism, and Romanian Wifery). I don’t have anything posted under those tabs yet, but I will soon! So keep coming back!

CONTEST!!!

I’m looking for at least 25 people to follow my blog…if you are the 25th person you will win a lovely little piece of Romanian pottery. AND, if you are already a follower and are the person who refers the 25th follower, you’ll get a little gift, too! I’ll mail it to you when we get to the states in June. (My husband tells me that this contest won’t work as people won’t become a follower until they can try and be the 25th person and therefore win the contest…he may have a point. But, I say, let’s blow his mind and try and double the number to 50 followers! So, tell your friends, your neighbors, your kids, your grandma and your grandma’s neighbor Nelly).

Don’t forget to comment and let me know what inspires you…

5 comments:

Sarah said...

great idea! and wonderful pics.

Jeff and Aimee said...

I like the way you think, April. It helps me think, too. :)(But I still can't figure out what the BIG changes are and it's really bugging me. :( )

John Shumate said...

I think your pictures work in the same way your writing does. Each picture draws attention to what's important, to what part of the composition needs to be noticed first and most.

Good writing inspires me, also art accomplished with thought and intent.

JamieB said...

I am inspired by photography... seriously. I love it when I see a picture, or art, or a beautifully decorated room and want to recreate it.
I am inspired by my family and friends - to be a better mom, wife, human being. they keep me on my toes, pushing me out of my comfort zone into where I should be.
I am inspired by a beautiful spring day (like today). The blue of the sky against the green of the trees. I want to be outside, feeling the warmth of the sun on my (fully sunscreened) face, hearing my girls play on the jump-o-line or on their bikes. I want to make our space even better for them.

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Thank you so much for those kind words! I was out of town when you posted this so I missed it, but I wanted to come by any way and say thanks :-)

Thanks also for linking up to the Inspired By linky!!

blessings,
Melissa

Search This Blog

 

Learning | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates